Sunday, October 15, 2006

So very, very wrong!

There are so many WRONG things going on lately, I don’t know where to start!

OK so I was watching the news the other day and a story about binge drinking popped up, it was one of the headline news. A story about how much the government is spending on a massive advertising campaign.
Read this article for more info:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/3121440.stm

For those too lazy to read the article (as I would be if I was in your position), it basically just states how much binge drinking is costing the UK in terms of NHS spending, days taken off work because of hangovers etc.

Where is this country going?

I don’t understand, can someone tell me?

They allow 24 hour drinking and now they complain about binge drinking.
Tell you what, lets first throw in some pretty lookin' stats just so I can look intelligent!

…I’m only joking, I’m not gonna bore you all!

Instead take this quiz to see if you’re one of the many bingers Im talking about (that's a lot more fun isnt it?):

Binger quiz

Basically binge drinking and alcohol related crimes (this includes rape too!) have increased since they relaxed laws on pub opening times thus DRINKING can be done 24 hours…YAY!

O, wait, is it really ‘yay’? Why, of course it is if you can drink within reasonable limits, but what if you can’t? Then what? Who suffers? Are people so unhappy with their real lives that they feel the need and urge to binge drink in order to enter a fantasy land where they no longer want or have to control over what they do?

I read comments on newspaper websites by certain people (important judges and the shadow home secretary included) that the 24 hour pub opening times will lead to negative consequences…

…can someone say ‘DUH!’

Did they not realise that this is BRITAIN! We have a drinking culture here so we drink as and when we can, if this means 24 hours, hey yea! Why the hell not? Its obvious that some Britons are incapable of looking after themselves when they’re sober let alone drunk so why flex the laws? Was it a ploy for the government to receive better recognition or affection from the public? If it was, it seems like it may have backfired as per usual.

So now we have the problem of binge drinking and the government has to fork out how many millions of pounds to fund this advertising campaign.

Do you reckon that this new advertising campaign is/will be a great deterrent? What’s to stop the binge drinkers from switching channels when it comes on?

I wonder where the money’s gonna come from...see the government has this magical way of spending umpteen amounts of dosh on things and Ive always wondered ‘WHERE do they get it?’

…O wait, no wait a sec; it’s the good ol’ taxpayer, always the reliable source of income the tax payer is. Now au contraire to my ramblings I just want to say, I’m not AGAINST the government, they have made some great (…) decisions but sometimes you just want to throw on a navy blue suit, walk into the House of Parliament and say ‘What the hell are you guys thinking?!’ They need some straight talking individuals and not a bunch of ‘yes’ men! Yes men won’t do politics any good, what can you gain from yes men? Nothing!

All I can say is: The phrase 'common sense' is an oxymoron.

For those who feel they have extensive alcohol related problems read these articles:

Facts

Healthy Liver
(See Im not just here to complain, Im here to help :))
Just for the record...
If you do feel the need to binge drink, please do it in the confines of your own space (maybe invite friends round?). That way if you feel the urge to hurt anybody, you can hurt yourself instead of other innocent, random people.

Many thanks.

2 comments:

superstar said...

life just good

Mother Jones RN said...

Thank you for stopping by my blog. I've would have written sooner, but I've been putting in a lot of hours at the hospital.

I like you observation on binge drinking:-) I'll me back.

MJ