When I go to work I sometimes end up reading magazines that we publish just simply to take up lunch break time. Within a certain magazine there has, for the past couple of weeks, been a section that relates to the issue of the programme ‘Make Me A Supermodel’ in which Jen Hunter was told that her legs were too ‘stocky’ for the catwalk. This is opposed to Marianne Berglund who was told she had a great body despite the fact that she was seriously underweight. Hunter is a size 12 whereas Berglund is a size zero. Both girls claim that they are satisfied with their sizes and that the media should leave their bodies alone. The issue here is really quite obvious. Health officials and people in general are claiming that the programme is portraying a negative image of the female body. By commending Berglund they are supposedly claiming that being a size zero is ideal. When I saw the picture of Berglund in a bathing suit-which I wish I could find to post on here-I instantly thought she looked way too thin. Almost like a skeleton and while they claimed she was the ‘ideal’ weight for modelling I wondered whether this was true. I’ve seen quite a few models in the magazines I've read and not many of them are as skinny as Berglund, then again none of them are as ‘big’ as Hunter either.Berglund looks unhealthy and so does Hunter to a certain extent. Now size 12 is an OK weight in the ‘normal’ world and I think people have backed Hunter much more than they have Berglund. But I wonder whether they are doing this just to look good. Lemme ask a question:
If there were pictures of overweight models in bikini’s etc would it be as appealing?
I think in all honesty the answer would probably be NO. Even though we see a normal sized person on a model programme we know that, in reality she would be have a hard time getting work. We’re so use to seeing skinny models that if this were to change, it would not work as well.
I don’t know many women who would prefer an overweight male model advertising jeans as opposed to a well toned model. Only thing is, the men usually look healthy not skinny and scrawny. Instead of encouraging fat or thin models how about they encourage TONED models. Those that promote a healthy lifestyle and look good at the same time. I don’t mean women who have biceps like men or anything that extreme but I think you catch my drift. Does it matter anyway? Seems like things are airbrushed and adjusted so much that you’d probably find it hard to recognise the model if you saw them in real life!
I’m not against skinny models simply because it’s up to them to do what they want to do with their bodies. I think it’s up to the viewer to decide whether they look to these people as role models or not. I understand that being overweight breeds negative associations to do with laziness, a sedentary lifestyle and greediness but if you feel comfortable in your own skin then people will love you for it. I know it’s easier said than done and at times I do not feel comfortable in my own skin but I will learn too. I mean, I don’t think I have a reason NOT too. As long as being a little bigger doesn’t seriously affect your health then go for it!
Being skinny is not simply the tool needed to become a model. You also need to have the body shape for it so for those who feel they can stop eating and hopefully have a chance in the modelling world, well, have a long think first to see if God made you suitable.
I’m not against skinny models simply because it’s up to them to do what they want to do with their bodies. I think it’s up to the viewer to decide whether they look to these people as role models or not. I understand that being overweight breeds negative associations to do with laziness, a sedentary lifestyle and greediness but if you feel comfortable in your own skin then people will love you for it. I know it’s easier said than done and at times I do not feel comfortable in my own skin but I will learn too. I mean, I don’t think I have a reason NOT too. As long as being a little bigger doesn’t seriously affect your health then go for it!
Being skinny is not simply the tool needed to become a model. You also need to have the body shape for it so for those who feel they can stop eating and hopefully have a chance in the modelling world, well, have a long think first to see if God made you suitable.
No comments:
Post a Comment