Thursday, July 26, 2007

Flooding

I’m sure a lot of you have heard a lot about the amount of flooding here in the UK. I must say, it’s pretty ironic because just a few months ago they were complaining about a drought, enough to impose a hose pipe ban. I suppose the saying ‘be careful what you wish for’ has reached a whole new level. It’s sad to see so many people leave their homes because of flooding but what’s worse is the fact that people are without drinking water.

Water water everywhere but not a drop to drink.

Seeing it on TV is one thing but it brought it all home for me when I visited OHara’s blog and she had actual pictures from her window. It's like they built the houses in the middle of a stream!Over here in London the water level is being kept under control and the flood barriers are holding out but the rain hasn’t stopped falling so there is still a risk.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks.
You should know that the waters outside my window have now disappeared.
Unfortunately, it has been raining most the day and if it continues - they will soon be back.

Mrs Mac said...

What really upset me was when they reported that police said there had been "selfishness" around where water was being given out. They showed one shot of a car park in which people were being given two trays of bottled water per family. Some were just piling up their trolleys with them, filling their cars. One reporter followed some of them and asked why they had so much,
"It's two trays per person!" they said. When he told them, no, it's PER FAMILY they just shooed him off and told him where to go.

What's wrong with people?

If we had to take two trays, we'd take them. THen, cos there are only two of us, we'd go next door where they have kids, and ask if they needed some of ours.

I guess people don't think like that. It's grab, grab grab for yourselves.

VERY depressing.

Lady_T said...

Ohara, I hope it doesnt come back.

I saw that on TV as well Helena, it was sad to see. They had these blue tanks and a lot of them were empty, not only that but some of the taps had been vandalised, can you believe it?

Alex L said...

And over here its exactly the opposite, though it has been wet recently all the water storages are almost empty, though i dont envy anyone in the flooding.

Eugene D. Gibson said...

Coming from a hurricane belt I feel your pain!Things like that are yearly occurance with us down here in the BahamasFlooding is perhaps one of the most frightening things especially when you can't tell the coastline from land!God Be with you all.

Catmoves said...

The U.S. had joined the flooding countries.
I guess we just have to say "human greed" when talking about the hoarders. Bet there weren't many of them in WW II?