Thursday, July 19, 2007

At The Bus Stop


Why do things like this always happen to me?

A couple of days ago I was on my way to central London, early morning around 9am. I was standing at the bus stop brooding over how long the bus was taking when this woman with a hat, jacket and some track suit bottoms started walking in my direction. Now the bus stop was half full so before she could reach me she had to walk past a few people. She had a bottle of…something in her hand, I don’t know what it was but it didn’t look like anything alcoholic. I turned from her to the direction the bus was suppose to come from, I thought she’d walk past me like she was doing to everyone else. All of a sudden she started talking to me – it’s always me that people feel the need to ask directions or the confused people like to talk to for some strange reason – she said something about a large screw driver in New Cross that attacked her. At this point I was thinking ‘I really haven’t got time for this’ even though I was waiting at the bus stop, I was also praying she wouldn’t spill any of her drink on my clothes. She tried to show me the marks on her hand, I instinctively looked and just kept nodding and turning away praying for the bus to come. Two buses did come but neither were for me. At this point people were staring at us, I hate when people do that, what’s the use in staring? It doesn’t help it actually makes things worse.

I really wanted her to stop talking to me so I said ‘Well why don’t you go to the police?’ hoping that she would think that was a good idea and be on her way, instead she said they wouldn’t believe her. At that point I just stopped responding, I really didn’t want to provoke her and my eye was on the open bottle all the time. She started talking some more about something or another but I really couldn’t concentrate and this bus was getting on my nerves because it was taking FOREVER. This woman next to me kept going on and on about something (the screw driver?) and then she said ‘come on, lets go’. I looked at her and just calmly said I had somewhere I had to be so I couldn’t go with her hence the reason I’m standing here at this bus stop. She looked me over and started mumbling about the Pukka pad I was holding, I just nodded and looked away, hoping she would get the hint.

Another woman was walking past us and she went to ask her for a cigarette. I thought I was free and I was still wondering where the hell this bus was. Then she came back to me as if we were having a really important conversation. I stopped nodding and responding but I kept up the constant looks for the bus and I think she got the hint because eventually she said bye and left.

Two minutes after that, the bus came.

5 comments:

Ak-Man said...

Stop complaining!

What I'd give to have intoxicated (slightly off the wall) women approaching me with 'interresting' conversation. I'm guessing she wanted you to come back to her place!!! SCORE!!!

So jealous right now : p

Lady_T said...

You're crazy.

Alex L said...

Ah... the joys of psychos and public transport, though you ussually meet them when your on the bus, not at the bus stop, so theres really no escape. A screw driver though, I'm quite interested in the womans story now, you didnt happen to catch her number did you.

david mcmahon said...

About an hour ago, a staggering bloke reeking of alcohol asked me where the post office was.

Hello?

Eight o'clock on a Saturday night? No post office in the country is open then!

Keep smiling

David

TheChristianAlert.org said...

This story will make great conversation, but I'm sure it was a bit scary at the time.

-Edgar