Tuesday, July 10, 2007

All Work And No Play

I’ve just spent 11 hours of my life shopping in west end. Now this may seem like I’m some sort of shoppaholic but I’m the opposite. I hate shopping but you know, sometimes it has to be done. The problem with me and my shopping habits is that I tend to leave major gaps in between so that I end up spending for hours when I AM forced to do it.

It’s a chore not a hobby, it isn’t fun, it’s tiring.

Yes, contrary to popular belief (AK) there are SOME women who actually hate shopping. There, I said it. You can say I’m lying if you want but I speak the truth. We are not all controlled by ‘70% off’ sales in Miss Selfridges and Topshop or by a famous person's new clothing line which has just been launched. Why, in the world, would I go crazy over spending my own money? It’s not just the money, it’s trying on clothes, looking for the best bargains etc. I’m tired just writing about it.

Today my friend and I decided to leave extra early. We left at 9am to get to west in good time to beat the crowds. In my mind I was hoping to buy what I needed and be out of there by 12 before the lunch crew mobbed the stores. Well, as you can imagine, it didn’t exactly work out like that. By 12 we weren’t even one quarter into our little shopping spree and when lunch time struck the place was swarming with people and yes, that included (Shock! Shock! Horror! Horror!) MEN as well! I couldn’t believe my eyes.

Anyway on and on the shopping spree went and on and on the time flew. I started to become quite agitated around 4pm about the time my feet started hurting and the bag in my hand started to weigh me down. We had eaten and I was tired, I wanted to go home but I pushed myself because I knew that if I didn’t finish this here, I would have to come back another day and I really didn’t want that. In the end, after 11 and a half hours – started at 10am or so, got home at 9:30 – I still didn’t manage to get all I wanted. I’m not going back anytime soon though, I guess I just have to leave it for a little while.

This is the agony I refer to as, shopping.

9 comments:

Alex L said...

Ah the pleasures of womanhood, caring about your appearence, it all seems like to much effort to me. I hate shopping as well, but thats because of other people, the ones that dont plan and just go out to shops and wander aimlessly around, yet always in front of me, dragging there hyped up little rug rat Cody, while he screams about how he wants an spiderman figurene.... excuse me I need to go punch something for a while....

Ak-Man said...

Ladies love shopping . . . FACT! You know you loved it really!!

11+ hrs . . . that's serious business. I can think of anything I'd do for that long that I don't like!

My offer still stands by the way . . . was it 18% that we agreed on?

Lady_T said...

Lol pope, I really know what you mean man. I make it a big deal when I walk past them just so they know they're walking slow.

18% AK, although yesterday I spent quite a bit so we amy have to re-negotiate that fee. We'll talk.

Ladybanana, oxford street isnt too far from me and like you, I dont have too many decent shops round where I live either. It would have been good tho, less crowds.

Ak-Man said...

I hope that by 'renegotiate' you mean 'increase rate'.

I already dropped from %25... No more drops Lady.

Catmoves said...

11.5 hours. I'm impressed. I can't handle even a casino for that long. Oh, well, keep a stiff upper lip, ducky.

Lady_T said...

o alright alright. 25 to 18 is a big drop I suppose.

Thank you catmoves, I hopefully dont plan to spend that long shopping EVER AGAIN!

Anonymous said...

Oh my days! i thought i was the only one that hated shopping! my friends and sisters treat me like an outcast (what do you mean it's not fun traipsing around shops trying on things you won't buy for hours on end). they made me feel like i had a birth defect. My best friend said to me the other day, but you're a woman, all women love shopping.... actually no. the only reason i was persuaded to spend 3 hours in lakeside was because the only alternative is to go about naked. that's right, my wardrobe got raided and all my clothes got thrown out.
so, i have to do this again next pay day. can't wait (!)

Lady_T said...

Shopping is no joke man! I just had to put the fact that not all women are controlled by shopping, most of us probably pretend they like it because it's 'the norm'. Not me tho!

san said...

I have a theory on shopping...about the marketing ploys to give women TOO much choice. Think about it. Compare the size of women's clothing sections to that of men's... I think the reason some women spend so much time shopping is cos they have to filter through so much merchandise, to just find something they like!

Too much choice people..wish I was a bloke!
(ok...not really...)

:-)