Saturday, May 08, 2010

Is Feminism A Good Thing?

Well we all know there are two sides to every story, I don’t particularly believe this is true but what the hell do I know. With the question regarding feminism and whether it’s a good thing, well….I’m not so sure it is.

There are many branches to the feminist theory but I won’t bore you with all of them simply because I don’t know them myself but let’s just say that they strive to achieve some sort of equality between men and women in the work place and possibly life in general. Yea, that sounds about right. If a man and a woman are doing the same role they should be rewarded equally don’t you think?

As for life in general, well, how does one ‘equally’ bear and raise a child? When I go to the supermarket I see a lot of women with push chairs and toddlers shopping. I see some men but not half as many men as women. Now personally, I believe that woman and child have that ‘special’ maternal bond, this may be because the child has lived inside his/her mother for 9 months. He/she has become accustomed to the mothers movements and habits, the sound of her voice way before it has entered the real world. For men, you can only start this bond after the child has been born or maybe you can speak to the child while it’s in the womb to give yourself a head start. Women play a bigger part in raising their child. It’s just natural I would assume. They also play a large role in the running of the house domestically. When I was younger I was the one who done the majority of the house work and cooking (after my mother of course). I had an older brother who helped sometimes but the responsibility was mainly on me. I use to ask why I was the one who had to do the housework to which my mum would reply ‘because you’re a girl’ or ‘it’s training for the future’. What?...Training?! As far as I was concerned I went to school just like my brother, I had a part time job like him AND I still had to do housework? Gimme a break will ya, I still got homework to do! It didn’t seem fair to me at all. Later on I realised that even though women and men work to keep the house in order financially, women were responsible for the house domestically and this included looking after the children. So were the ways of my family and many others I presume.

Furthermore if a woman is playing a large part in raising her child and looking after the house, this means that work takes second place. Employees are aware of this and are sometimes quite reluctant to employ young women or (especially) women with kids whereas men, much more than women, are less likely to have this problem and are therefore unlikely to be penalised for this. From a business point of view, men are in this sense much more reliable candidates than women. I am more than aware that some men also face this burden, especially if for some particular reason; the mother is not around to look after her child. But let’s face it, these cases are considerably less for men than they are for women. It makes me consider whether liberal feminism is worth the time and effort. Can there ever really be equality in the work place/political environment when the duties the majority of men and women have, differ so much? It seems to me that women generally make the bigger sacrifices when it comes to family and because of this, are some how excluded or discriminated against.

So if I was to break all this down I would say; women and men work equally (women with generally less pay than men don’t forget) but women have the added duty of looking after the home while men have the added duty of…???

Just saying it how I see it.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Lady! Interesting post!
I come at it from a different perspective, being what is commonly referred to as CBC (childless by choice). In our household, DH and I both share the chores quite equally, and he probably is picking up after me more often than not!

We work together as well, and I probably shoulder more of the operations load (the actual doing) and he more the managerial role (leading).

I tend to agree with you that feminism is not a good thing, but not because of natural roles, but rather that a lot of feminists seem to want to be 'more equal' (ie. given preference), and seem to decry those very things that make us female.

I LIKE having a door opened for me. BUT I am quite happy opening a door for others. I LIKE to receive flowers, BUT I will send flowers to others as well (including men).

Unfortunately, to me, it seems that a number of feminists are after some Amazon-ian ideal rather than equality.

You've got me thinking and I have loads to say on this topic, being an Australian where sexism is the worst that I've ever experienced (even compared to the UK).

Ak-Man said...

Men have the burden of being MEN!

It's not easy to be a REAL man. Life is a lot more competitive for us. We have to work a lot harder to take care of our families than you might think. It's not all cooking and cleaning, a lot of pressure falls on us. My uncle recently had a baby . . . while the wife was pregenant he was the only one working. He also had to run the house and look after his wife. They have a baby now, and he's still the only one working but she takes care of the house now.

I think feminists are a bit twisted logically. Instead of competing with women, they want to compete with men.

I know you didnt really argue that men have it easy. But you think we have it easier right? Just because we dont have the burden of child birth . . . In fact, I'ma dig into this on my blog "Just Because We Don't Have The Burden Of Child Birth"

Lady_T said...

Thanks Ozlady. Feminism is SUPPOSE to be about equality but I dont believe it can ever really come to that. I suppose I must also admit that you are right, some feminists want equality with extra perks...not possible and not fair.
If you have more to say don't hesitate to comment, it's a subject that always pops up in my head especially because Im now entering the working world...or at least trying to.

Ak-Man
I dont think men have it easier because they dont physically have children but none the less being a man, in terms of employment in higher paid roles, you do have it easier. Men are generally seen as leaders where women are supporters (a lot of receptonists are women whereas a lot more CEO's are men)which is, I suppose one of those ideas feminists are trying to abolish.

In terms of house work and such women in general are the ones who take care of things in that sense. Nowadays I can only imagine it would be hard for a man to financially look after a household especially because of the costs of having and looking after a child, thats why I believe men have it hard but not harder than women...single mums have it the hardest.


I look forward to your article though!

Alex L said...

Men have it harder because they have to deal with women, am I right fellas.... ow ... ow stop throowing your shoes at me...

But seriously, I think women take a lot more credit for childbirth than they should, its like a dude bragging he has a penis, its nature you didnt spawn a uterus by choice its just there, its your role in nature to have the babies. But socially yeah men probably do have it easier, but you get many peks like women only gyms and breasts and things.... now is that fair...

Ak-Man said...

I'm rolling with the Pope on this one.

I wouldn't be too keen on having breasts, givin birth or men only gyms though . . . LOL

Anonymous said...

Gimme a break will ya, I still got homework to do! It didn’t seem fair to me at all.

See your Mom was right! It WAS training for the future!
It's not fair. You have to learn to accept that females are in for the rough end of the stick. ;)

My partner always says stuff like
"I did the washing-up for you" and expects a pat on the back.
Yeah right!
And I did the cooking, cleaning of toilets, washing of clothes and hoovering all ESPECIALLY for YOU... I feel like screaming.

I don't know about feminism but a little consideration would be nice - once in a while. At least in my neck of the woods.

Lady_T said...

lol Pope, sexism, thats another thing - men definately get the harder end of that in society. Like you said, women only gyms...

Ohara, yes I know how you feel! Everytime my dad does some sort of washing up he goes 'this is suppose to be your job', I've heard it so many times it's just one of those things I ignore now.

Thanks for visiting!

Alex L said...

I think its also that women care more, I see dust I just think, meh. I dont thnk houses need to be as tidy as women think... or am I just a gromit.

Anonymous said...

Um - PopeT... Men brag that they have penises all the time!

What's your point?

LOL

Alex L said...

Well they have no right, its not as if when they where just a twinkle in there dads eye and a gooey feeling in there mother crutch they made the decision to be a dude or a chick. I didnt choose to be a freakin genius, but there the cards I was dealt, I cant take credit for it. Women have Uteri, and men have Wangs, thats just they way the game works. So men cant go around saying i have penis praise me, and women cant brag about how they can take child birth, no one chose their gender

Mrs Mac said...

I don't think the "maternal" feelings always come at all.

I had a friend who had a complete breakdown a few years after having a kid, she said she felt very little except boredom with regard to being a mum. All the pressure to "feel something" motherly got to her. She completely broke up. The child went to live with the estranged father. She got on with her life.

Another woman I know, I used to work with, didn't want kids. Her husband did. So she said, ok, if I have them, you stay home and look after them. And that's what she did. Whilst I worked with her, she had her second child. Went home Friday, had it at the weekend, came back to work Tuesday. Hubbie stayed home and looked after them and did the housework. He really enjoyed it. She enjoyed her work.

Then there's me. I'm 40 this year. When people ask (and boy, do they go on!) why I don't want kids I tell them, it's the wrong question. You shouldn't ask yourself "do I want kids?" you should ask "do I want to be a parent?" And I've never wanted to be.

As for work, I took my first job in 1984. Me and a boy from my school both got jobs as office juniors at a stockbrokers in London. We started the same day. We had the same intro., same tour, then they walked him off to the dealing room and me to the typing pool. Even though I had been in the top class at school, and got more qualifications than him.

Quick thinking: I told them (a lie) I can't type. So they had to get me something else to do. I ended up working in the back office. I did well over the years. But it still wasn't the dealing room.

Too many assumptions are made. Not all women want kids. Not everyone, male or female, wants to be a parent.

When politicians talk about 'womens issues' it's always about kids. So it isn't women's issues, it's MOTHERS' issues. Hullo? Not the same thing????

Makes me mad. But I've waffled on too long now. Sorry!!!!

Lady_T said...

Don't worry, its a waffling sort of subject to speak about! I get what you're saying, there are always exceptions to the rule. I do find that a lot of women nowadays decide not to have children and for me personally I don't find it unusual, it's a matter of choice. There is no point having kids because people think you should, it's all about wanting to have that child and being prepared to look after that child for years...and years...and years...

Had a baby over the weekend, back at work on tuesday? Wow

That example you gave about your first office junior job, classic example. Thanks!

Catmoves said...

Comment for Pope Terry I (a male) have only this remark to make: If the future of the human race depending on me bearing a child, extinction is the next step.
I agree with you Lady. However, males have been dominant for centuries because of many factors, incuding protecting females from marauders. Things will change.
What concerns me even more is religions other than Islam telling us men are the bosses.
Our (Wild Thing and me) relationship has been share it all.
Works for us.